Divorce, Trust and Gifts

A quit claim deed transfers property ‘as is.’ Quit claim deeds do not contain any implied warranties of debt outstanding or good title. An owner who ‘quit claims’ real property simply conveys whatever ownership interest he or she has along with any debt or loans secured by the property. A quit claim is the easiest and cheapest way to transfer ownership between parties who personally know each other.

Quit claim deeds can be used to give away timeshares in Hawaii. Timeshares are most often gifted to children of the owners. Other owners want to gift to nieces, nephews, other relatives or friends. Sometimes a ‘gift’ occurs when the timeshare owner sells the timeshare for nominal value.  

A quit claim deed works in gifting because little or no money is exchanged and the parties know each other. Gifting may have income tax, capital gains tax or gift tax consequences. Owners are advised to consult with a tax accountant for tax consequences of gifting a timeshare by quit claim deed.

Quit claim deeds can be used to fund trusts and avoid probate. Hawaiian timeshares not owned or titled in a trust are at risk for probate.  A timeshare must be transferred into trust while the person is still living.  A quit claim deed works to fund a trust because no real change in ownership occurs. What is changed is how title is held.

Use quit claim deeds to remove a former spouse as owner of a timeshare. A timeshare awarded to one spouse in a divorce must have the non-owning spouse removed as owner. Until the former spouse is removed from title the owning spouse cannot sell or transfer the timeshare and the former spouse will inherit the timeshare in the event of death.  Quit claim deeds work in divorce because the parties have complete information and disclosure on the value of the timeshare and amount of debt outstanding.

In Hawaii a quit claim deed must have attached Form P-64B, ‘Exemption from Conveyance Tax.’ Hawaii collects a transfer tax on all filings or recordings with the Bureau of Conveyances. But there are exclusions. Transfers in and out of a trust are exempt. Transfers due to divorce and dissolution of marriage are exempt. True gifts are also exempt. To obtain the exclusion, either the Grantor or the Grantee completes Form P-64B, ‘Exemption from Conveyance Tax’ and submits the form with the quit claim deed.

The deed must be recorded with the Bureau of Conveyances to put the world on notice of the change in timeshare ownership. Maintaining an accurate, timely and permanent record system of timeshare ownership is the responsibility of the State of Hawaii Bureau of Conveyances.  A properly prepared quit claim deed must have the legal description, interval control number and reference to a prior recorded document.

Once the quit claim deed has been recorded it is returned by the Bureau with proof of recording. This recorded deed must be provided to the resort management company to update their records for reservations, accounting and billing.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013

Contact Us…

 18831 Von Karman Avenue, Suite 270 Irvine, CA

Visit Us…